Join us for SAMBA and DANCE in a family-friendly & Covid-safe action to mark the 5-year anniversary of the historical Paris Agreement!
When: 12th of December, 12:00-2:00pm
Where: Castle Square, Swansea City Centre
On December 12th 2015 in Paris, all countries agreed to limit global warming to 1.5°C to prevent a climate catastrophe.
WHAT’S HAPPENED SINCE?
- Governments around the world have been slow creating the needed policies – The UK Government has failed to meet most of its own targets!
- Many banks and other big organisations keep investing in damaging industries – like fossil fuels, putting the environment and everyone’s health at high risk.
Meanwhile… climate breakdown didn’t slow down
- Global temperatures have continued to rise causing floods, forest fires, hurricanes, melting ice-caps and glaciers, rising oceans and drought.
- Livelihoods are destroyed, the economy breaks, species go extinct, the food chain is disturbed, and pandemics bring death to millions…
WHAT HAS THE UK GOVERNMENT DONE?
- Announced £5 billion for Climate Change
Sounds good, BUT also announced:
- £16.5 billion extra for defence AND
- £27 billion for the road network AND
- £106 billion for HS2 railway that is destroying ancient forests and wildlife
- Continues to invest in fossil fuels at home and overseas
THE GOVERNMENT AND BIG BUSINESS ARE GREENWASHING US
While the UK Government will be celebrating how far we’ve come, announcing their new 10 point “plan” for a “Green Industrial Revolution”, we will TELL THE TRUTH – We’re being played:
These gradual steps in the right direction are an excuse to keep people quiet. They’re not even following their own Climate Change Committee’s suggestions to reach their 2050 targets, instead inventing their own milestones. Just a look at where the money’s really going reveals where their priorities lie.
The truth is, this government is failing and they have nothing under control. But these inadequate pledges will be used as a smokescreen to say they have it all in hand.
It is crucial that we make some noise about it!
Join us for SAMBA, DANCE and TRUTH-TELLING!
You can learn the choreography here:
DISCOBEDIENCE – dance tutorial (with moves and captions)
WHAT ELSE CAN WE DO?
TELL banks like HSBC, Barclays, RBS and Santander to stop investing in fossil fuel extraction.
CHANGE your bank account to an ethical bank; CHANGE your energy provider and pension provider: www.switchit.money
TELL Swansea Council to dis-invest from fossil fuels in their pension funds: